Thursday, July 2, 2009

Flash Back...We are One!


My girls are ONE! I can not believe how fast this year went. I think it has been the fastest year of my life. It seems like yesterday I was laying in the hospital bed getting ready for delivery.

Well lets go back a little...

December 24th (6 weeks pregnant):
Telling my family!

I asked my parents and sisters to all come over on Christmas Eve so we could tell many! They all knew we were pregnant, they just didn't know how many. I remember my dad sitting in a folding chair across the room from me, my mom sitting next to me, then my sister Kristin and then my sister Mandy. I handed my mom the ultrasounds. The first one, showing twins was on top, then the second one showing triplets was on bottom. So my mom looks at it and says... twins, really? Then my sister takes it right away and says, wait a minute, A, B & C...triplets??? As soon as she said that, my mom turns white and her hand covers her chest. I thought she was going to have a heart attack! Once they all processed the news, I think they were very happy for us!

Telling Josh's family!

That night, we decided to go to a Christmas Party with his mom and step-dad. And then later to see all his aunts and uncles! Well I pull out the ultrasound and his mom looks at it, then looks at us, and says...triplets? We of course, say yes. She then starts waving the ultrasound around screaming, triplets, I am going to have triplet grand babies! Over and Over! It was so funny. I think she was more excited than anyone! As for the aunts and uncles later that night... some where speechless and some seemed very happy! Once it sunk it, then we had 20 questions from everyone! Thankfully, we have a very supportive family and everyone seemed very happy for us!

May 2008 (~30 weeks pregnant):
The Tornado!

It was a rainy day, Josh and I decided to go mingle with some friends uptown. I was huge! But I wanted to get out as much as possible since I knew I would not have time for it once the babies came. Well while we were out, I realized I was almost out of my prescription for Tylenol, to help me sleep. So I decided to go re-fill it. It was still raining, not too bad. The closer I got to the store, which was only a few minutes away, the harder it rained. Then the sirens came on. I didn't know what to do. Do I just stay in the truck and wait it out, do I drive back to where Josh was? I decided to get out of the car and go into the drug store. I thought it would be safer than the truck. Boy was that a mistake. About 5 seconds after I got out of the car, this mini tornado started to come right at me. Me and my big belly started to run toward the door. I tripped and fell towards a car...a very nice gentleman caught me and helped me inside. Boy was I scared! I was so sure I was going to go into labor, as well as the employees inside, but thankfully I didn't and everything was fine. Josh calls me, very scared. I told him I was okay and inside. Once it passed, I drove back to him. I think it was the scariest time for both of us!

June 2008 (32 weeks pregnant):
Hospital Scare!

All morning/afternoon, I had been feeling some weird pains running from my back to my front. I didn't think much of it because it was not that painful. Well my mom was coming over at her normal time to see how I was and have dinner together. About an hour before she came, the pain started to get worse. I started to get a little worried. Well my mom comes, and she starts talking about something. I did not want to interrupt her, she was excited or frustrated, I can't remember, about what ever she was talking about. Once she finished, about 5 minutes later. I said, I have some pains in my back and front. She then was upset that I did not stop her to tell her as soon as she walked in. It was funny! So anyways, I call the doctor and tell him. He said it was probably nothing, but since I was pregnant with trips, I should come right in and he would meet me at the hospital in an hour.

We get to the hospital and get signed in. They send me to a room and ask me to put on a gown. At this moment, it became very real. I started to get tears in my eyes. I guess it just never really hit me. But seeing the hospital bed, and the baby bed and all the machines, it hit me all at once. I was scared! Well they hooked me up to all the monitors and did an ultrasound. I was having some minor contractions, nothing serious. So they monitored me over night and sent me home with some medicine to help with the contractions! Oh, and at this time I was put on moderate bed rest! 2 1/2 weeks later, we decided to have the babies!

Before the Birth:

It was about 5:30 a.m. in the morning. Josh and I get up, take showers and head to the hospital. We were so nervous, scared, excited, happy. You name it, we felt it! Our families were going to meet us at the hospital at 7 a.m. I was scheduled for a c-section at 7:30 a.m. I don't think I was as scared this time as I was the first time I went to the hospital for the minor contractions. I get settled in and relax. Our family arrives, most with smiles on their faces, excited to see the babies! Josh brought me some flowers, and I got something else too from someone, but can't remember...I think more flowers! (Sorry) Some of it is a blur!

The C-Section:
It was time! Josh and I start to walk down to the delivery room. He was not aloud to come in while they did my spinal, so he waited outside and peeked in a window so he could watch. The spinal did not hurt much at all, it was just like a bee sting. Everything started to get numb! They lay me down, Josh comes in. Within minutes, they start! I remember still having some feeling in my legs and stomach and almost freaking out that they were going to start cutting and I wouldn't be completely numb! Thankfully, I was! I started to get very nervous...I could tell something was going on. Then everything started to shake, I think that is when Josh got scared, my whole body was shaking and there was nothing he could do. Then all of a sudden, instant relief and a CRY! Wow, I heard Makenna cry. I got tears in my eyes. Where was my baby? They took her right away, I never got to see her. Then I heard another cry within a second of Makennas. It was Jaeli, and once again, they took her away. And then again, my third CRY! It was a great feeling to hear them all cry. And the instant relief when they were all out that I didn't even realize I had! I was so sad that I couldn't see them though. The doctor said they were all fine and healthy and they were taking them to get cleaned off and tested. I think I lost that chance to connect to them right away. I remember laying there while they were putting me back together, Josh leaves to be with the babies. I was all alone, I have not even seen my babies and no one to talk to. I was very disappointed and sad. The first thing I saw were pictures Josh brought me while I was in recovery. I finally got to see them about 3 hours later in the NICU hooked up to all the machines. Later Josh told me it was pretty gross when he walked by me to be with the babies, he saw my insides being put back together and blood everywhere! I saw nothing!!!

The girls were in the NICU for less than 2 weeks. They recovered pretty fast. Right away Jaeli was put on lights for Jaundice. Then the next day, Maysie and Makenna were also put on lights. They were all on O2, but not for very long and a low dose. Makenna was anemic at one point. Maysie had low blood sugar, which caused her to be in the hospital for about 3 days more than the other two. Makenna and Jaeli would have brady's every once in awhile. Maysie did pretty good. Thankfully we only had two on the monitors and not all three of them! Diaper rash...that was bad for Makenna and Maysie. They both were bleeding at times. Maysie was the worst. We ordered specail cream for her two times. I remember crying every day I had to see her little red butt. She would cry every time we changed her diaper. It was so heartbreaking. The feeding tubes were hard too. I believe they only had those in for a few days though. Overall, the NICU stay went pretty well!

Training and Staying Overnight to take Makenna and Jaeli Home:
It was a Saturday night, and we were going to stay overnight with the girls in our own room. We do all the training and then we get settled into our hospital room. The actual room we were suppose to have was not available b/c of construction. So we got stuck in a room with two beds instead of one we could share. Well I took Makenna and Josh took Jaeli. It went pretty well. We woke every three hours to feed them and change them. It was hard to sleep, but we managed.

Leaving Maysie Behind:
Well it was Sunday, and we were taking Makenna and Jaeli home for good. I had to go say good bye to my little Maysie first. I spent some time with her. I couldn't spend a lot of time though b/c I knew we were leaving her behind. I cried most of the time I was with her. We decided to stop at my parents on our way home. I cried the whole way. I felt like I was missing a piece of me. I knew she was safe there and it was good for her to be there until she got her blood sugar up. It only lasted a few days and we were able to take our tiny baby home. I believe she weighed 3lbs 11oz!

This is all just so amazing! My three precious babies are doing great and are 1 year old! Its been a long road, a happy road and very rewarding! I love my three girls with everything I have and am. I couldn't have done this without my wonderful husband. He is the glue that holds us all together!

Happy Birthday My Sweet Babies!


MDtripmom said...

Wow, thanks for sharing your story with us. I can't believe they are ONE either! Happy Birthday Makenna, Jaeli and Maysie! I see we both shared our news of expecting triplets on Christmas Eve. How cool!

Jack said...

I wish the girls HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Agsin. Also I want to say that I'm very PROUD and HAPPY with the way the two of you, Megan and Josh had raised the girls sofar. Keep up the good werk. Love you all. Granpa J.