Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Elks Picnic 2011 - Church















We took the girls to the yearly family Elks picnic this year. We took them when they were newborns, one and this year. We had a wedding when they were two, so we were not able to go. They had a blast! The picnic always takes place at one of the other members homes. They have a huge pond, lots of land and an out building with a bathroom that make it perfect! The kids swam in the pond, as well as played on the big water slide they have every year. When they were one, Mak was the only one we could get to go down it, and that was only one time. She LOVED it this year, just kept going back. Maysie went down only once, as well as Jace. Jaeli went down a few times. All but Mak had a bit of trouble climbing it, so they were not too interested in it. They loved playing in the water and discovered the deck. It was a two level deck, they only jumped off the lower level to daddy. We thought Mak was going to jump off the very high level, but she chickened out! They then went to the miniature deck, platform... in the middle of the water and played on that for awhile, jumping off and climbing up and down the ladder. They were not too interested in eating dinner, just wanted to play and they were NOT happy when we had to leave. Thanks Grandma J and Grandpa Rick for helping us out!


We decided to take the kids to church Sunday. We have talked about it a lot, but taking four babies/toddlers to church was not something we were sure we could handle or want to do. I grew up going to church and I want me kids to have that experience too, it had a huge effect on me. We thought about going to our church we went to before we had the girls, but we were also familiar with another church closer to home that friends of ours go to and it's much bigger.

Well...it did not go as well as we had hoped. Josh took Jace to the nursery and my sister in law and I took the triplets to the 2-3 year old room. Oh Mak was not having it. She did NOT want me to leave her. She had the biggest fit ever! So Josh ended up staying in there with Maysie (and Jaeli) b/c she was upset as well, but not as bad as Mak. Jaeli was in heaven cause she had books to read and a baby that she could play with, along with a crib, high chair and other items to put the baby in! Josh said she played with the baby the entire time and did not need his attention at all. Mak went with me to the service and did pretty well at first, then she wanted Daddy. So Aunt Steph took her to the play room and came back with her shortly after. She said, oh my gosh, that girl can throw a fit, I have never seen her have a tantrum like that before. I laughed! Mak wanted me to take her, not Steph. So then I took her to play with her sisters and was able to sneak out. Josh attempted to sneak out a few times, but always failed cause they never let him out of their sight. I checked on him once or twice and he seemed fine, as well as Jace.

There were a few baptisms that service, they usually do it inside, but I think cause there were so many, they did it on the lawn. I was not able to be up close, so could only see tops of heads, but it was neat how they did it. The family members or the person who introduced the church to that person was the one who baptized them. One of them was the mother of the 4 year old who was shot and killed from Ossian. I had tears, she spoke and said 6 months ago if you would have told her that her son was going to die, she would have begged to go with him. But now, she knows he is in a better place and he does not miss her anymore. She was of course torn up and in tears, but she seemed to be doing well and getting through it. I can't even imagine.

So after the baptism, I went back to get Jace out of the nursery. I could hear him crying down the hallway. As soon as I got there he reached out for me with his runny nose and watery eyes. Looked like he had been crying for awhile. He was so tired cause he did not take a morning nap and Josh forgot to leave his blanket and paci. The teacher said he had his hand in his mouth often, so she figured that is what he wanted. As soon as I walked out of the room, he kept crying "daddy, daddy, daddy". Poor guy was so tired, all he wanted was his daddy. Such a daddys boy. So I took him over to the girls room and he saw him, but Josh was not able to get to us right away, he was rounding up the girls and many people were in the way. He then really started to cry for Josh once he saw him but could not get to him. He finally got the girls out of the room and we headed for the car. They were not happy to be leaving, they were having fun (so long as daddy was in there with them).

We will do it again I am sure and eventually make it a habit. Right now I think we will take it slow though. They need this, especially to get prepared for school. They don't get to interact with others much, so this would be a good opportunity to do that, as well as spending time away from us and not just my parents or Josh's parents. I am sure after a few times, they will be more willing to let us leave them alone...I hope!

No comments: