Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Homemade Frozen Meals!




So a couple nights a week it has been rough coming home from work and trying to get dinner made for the kids while they are screaming at me for my attention. It is not so bad when they are here all day, but when I have to go pick them up from my mom's, I don't get home until 6 and they usually fall asleep in the car, so they are crabby and just want me to hold them. So I have been stressing with dinners and usually just stop and pick fast food up so I don't have to deal with cooking. Well, I thought, why not make up meals and freeze them. Then I can just pull one out that morning and it will only take a couple minutes to prepare for them. So I bought all the supplies and spent about 1.5 hours tonight making them and bagging them. We will see how it goes and if I continue to do it. They are so picky with what they will eat, but I am pretty sure they will eat these as they are their favorites! Beef and Noodles (with green beans), Chicken and Noodles (with carrots), and Tuna and Noodles (with Broccoli). Yes, my kids are obsessed with pasta! Below is what I did...

Grocery List:
4 Bags of Noodles
1 pkg Hamburger grounded
1 pkg Chicken cut into chunks
2 pkgs Tuna
Milk
3 cans Beef Gravy
3 cans Chicken Gravy
2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
Crushed Carrots
Crushed Broccoli
Crushed Green Beans

Boiled Water
Cooked all four packages of noodles at once in a BIG pot!
Cooked chicken and hamburger
Set out three bowls to sort flavors
Mixed 1/3 of the noodles with the cooked chicken chunks, chicken gravy and crushed carrots.
Mixed 1/3 of the noodles with the ground cooked hamburger, beef gravy and green beans.
Mixed 1/3 of the noodles with tuna, cream of mushroom, 2 cans milk and broccoli.
I then scooped them into baggies, each one holding a meals worth and sealed it.
I than put one of each in large zip lock bag and sealed it and stuck it in the freezer.

I thought of the veggies at the last minute, a great way to get them to eat veggies!! I don't think they will even care, maybe not even notice. And I can add some fruit to their meal and it will be somewhat of a healthy meal!

Crossing my fingers it works out and I will stick to it and do it once a month! I estimated that it cost about $40 to create 12 meals, that's not bad! It's about than $3.50 a meal.

I feel like Super Mom tonight!

No comments: