Monday, January 23, 2012

Update on Mak and Potty Training

Potty Training:
Well the girls are about 95% potty trained day and night! We have only had a couple accidents in the last 3 or 4 weeks. Jaeli had one due to laziness and Mak had one in the middle of the night, but it was during one of her "high on fructose" episodes. So I don't really count that one. And then there were maybe one or two accidents where they just didn't make it to the potty in time, they attempted but went somewhere between the bathroom door and toilet. Great job girls, so proud of you! I did not think we would be sleeping through the night without diapers until age 4. I can't tell you how awesome it is to NOT have to put pull ups on each night and take them off in the morning! It is GREAT! And car rides too, we just make them go before we go somewhere and so far, we have not had any problems. Every once in awhile someone will mention they have to go, but they hold it until we get somewhere they can go. 3 down, 1 to go!

Makenna:
So we have been trying really hard to eliminate fructose from Mak's diet, but it can get hard at times as its in most foods. She was still recovering today (monday) from Saturdays episode. We went to a birthday party on Saturday and about 2 hours later the signs started coming out. Not only was she high on fructose as I call it, she was sick too, so that intensified her reaction to it. She so wanted to have cake and ice cream even though I told her it would hurt her... but I gave in and said she could. I took some sweet tarts in hopes it would counter act it, but I think ever single piece of food they had there had fructose in it. And then you add cake and ice cream to that which are both LOADED in fructose. She would have had to eaten a whole box to counteract it. At Jace's bday party, I was able to make her special cookies and limited her cake intake and bought fructose free ice cream. So I think from here on out, I will have to make some special ones and freeze them and take them with us for the next party. Her reaction to Saturdays foods was unbelievable. She had not been that bad since before we figured out what was wrong with her. It was literally like the devil took over her body. If you knew Mak, you would know she is the kindest, sweetest, smartest 3 year old. Her personality is huge and she is always trying to learn new things and help anyone and everyone in any way she can, even her siblings. But when she is high on fructose, she fights, screams, throws tantrums, hits and it goes on for hours. And she does all this to me, not just the other kids. Just by looking into her eyes I can tell she is having a reaction. She seems so irritated, uncomfortable, jittery, and extremely moody and tired. It is like a split personality and you know she is in there and you see signs of her for a minute or two, but then she disappears again. I have yet to accept the fact that a simple ingredient could cause a child to react this way... it is just unbelievable to me. I really hope she grows out of this someday soon.

No comments: