Thursday, April 19, 2012

Struggling with Makenna...

Well Mak has always been our most... difficult child. She has taken colds the worst of the four and her tantrums were ALWAYS crazy. She also has been our most lovey child though too. She loves to give kisses and hugs and make sure everyone is happy. She is so so smart too. But from about 6 months to 3 years she was always the hardest to control and discipline. No punishment would work. And the worst is the rash she had since an infant that just would not go away. The doctors don't seem to want to listen to me and hear me out. They just take a guess and that's about all they do. Well I got tired of it and decided to take it into my own hands and started cutting out foods to see if we saw a change in her. We worked our way down the list and decided to cut out Apple Juice. Bingo... her mood swings improved greatly, her rash was fading away and for the first time ever, it was gone for an entire week. It was great. For the next two months things improved and we cut out all High Fructose Corn Syrup as well as a few other related ingredients. Well now, 3 months later it seems like its happening just as much as it did before. And I don't know if it's because she is learning to "play" us or if she truly is having a reaction to something... but what?. She is getting her rash back on and off more often than not... so I think it is a true reaction. I am just so lost. I decided to give another doctor a shot and hope he can help us... is willing to help us. First it was her pediatrician who knows nothing about it, then a pedi GI doctor who again knew nothing about it. Well this time it will be a pedi Allergist and I decided I am not going to mention Fructose Malabsorption as these doctors don't seem to be up-to-date with the latest findings. It's actually quite common... just not here for some reason. So we will see what he has to say. If he is no help, then next step might be a dietician or dermatologist.

These mood swings are more like rage and so uncontrollable at times. I just don't know what to do with her. It's not fair to her or her siblings. She is so mean to them as well as us and I can see the look in her eyes, she is scared and I know she wants out of the episode she is having, but doesn't know how to do it.

So anyways, wish us luck and hope we find someone to help us. I am suspecting it could be wheat as it is related to Fructose Malabsorption. I really hope I am wrong b/c a diet with out wheat will be VERY difficult.

No comments: