Friday, July 14, 2017

Chores

The kids have been very lazy lately with chores. So, it was time to come up with a new reward system. We've done many in the past but they usually only last a month or so and the kids get bored with it and we move on to something else. But it's been a while so I came up with this new one. When the kids are in school they usually have a daily list of things that have to be done. It seems to work well for them so I thought I would give it a try for home as well. 2 days into it they seem to be okay with it and have done well so far. About once every two months they get some one-on-one time with me and we end up going to the store so I can buy groceries. Because going to the grocery store with four kids is impossible! But with just one they are usually pretty good about helping out. I have always let them buy something small when they're with me as a little treat. Well at times they complain that they want something worth more but I try to stick to the price limit I have set. So now with this new reward system they can earn more money to be used on their one-on-one time. Overall they have a daily checklist of things that need to be done and if they complete that checklist I will sign their sheet and it will be worth $0.50. And they can earn an extra quarter for good behavior that day. Ultimately they don't usually earn the extra quarter and they won't do this every day. But if they would do it every day and earn the extra quarter it adds up to like $30 by the time they have their one-on-one time. When it's their time I'll go through the box of my signed sheets and pull all theirs out and count them up. I have a feeling Makenna will be the only one that gets close to it. Since they have been struggling to read this summer and I don't want them to be completely lost when they go back to school, one of the things I have added is a worksheet and reading a book each day. So hopefully they will be prepared when they go on to the next grade in just four short weeks. They also consists of the normal stuff like brushing their teeth, taking a shower, picking up their room, and then they each have two other chores they are to do. Like brush the dog, brush the cat, feed the dog, water the dog, let the dog in and out, the litter box, put the dishes away, organize the shoes and books, check the trash, pick up the bathroom and make sure the toilets are flushed. I'm excited about checking the toilets. I am so tired of them not flushing and the bathrooms smelling horrible! Poor Maysie got stuck with this one. I am sure when they get older I will add more difficult tasks that are worth more money or we'll just do something completely different. Hopefully we all stick to this and it becomes a success. We've had some failures in the past but they're a little older now and need to start being more responsible.




No comments: