Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Makenna Update - Upper Endoscopy


So I am driving to Indianapolis tomorrow to take Makenna to Riley on Thursday morning for an Endoscopy to see if they can find anything that is causing her fructose Malabsorption. They will be doing a biopsy as well while looking at her Esophagus, Stomach and Small Intestines. She is scared and I am scared being the first time I will have a child being put under and possibly sedated if she does not leave my side calmly. She has already told me many times she will cry and wants to hold my hand. 

Sometimes I wonder if I am doing the right thing. All these tests we are putting her through are very hard on her and us mentally and financially. We can live with this, we know how to stop it from happening... but I can't help but think there's something causing it and if we can find the cause maybe we can stop it from happening all together. she misses out on so much... cake and ice cream at birthday parties, popsicles on a hot day, a sucker after she goes to the doctor and Halloween candy, she can't have any of it. If we don't keep this stuff out of her diet she has to suffer with a very painful rash and major mood swings that are uncontrollable for all of us. It's so easy to slip up, there are over 2 dozen ingredients she can't have, it's next to impossible to keep track of it all. And going out to eat is very difficult and does not happen much... so I guess I am doing the right thing.

I just hope we get the answers we are looking for and can find a cause that can be controlled with medicine or gone forever. I can only hope and dream that someday my daughter can live and eat as her sisters and brother do. Please keep us in your prayers Thursday.

And thanks to Aunt Jarilyn for letting us crash at your place and hanging out with us at the hospital!

No comments: